At Hungryyyy, we believe in the joy and comfort that come from meals. Our chicken noodle soup recipe is designed to provide a balance of flavors and textures that will quickly become a family favorite.
This recipe allows you to personalize your soup according to your preferences.
Health Benefits of Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is not just tasty but it also offers a range of health benefits. The combination of chicken, vegetables and broth creates a dish that is packed with nutrients and can help boost your well being.
Chicken is a source of protein which's essential for muscle growth and repair. It also contains vitamins like B6 and B12 well as zinc. These nutrients play a role in supporting your system and aiding in the fight against infections.
The vegetables in chicken noodle soup such as carrots, celery and onions provide an array of vitamins and antioxidants. Carrots are particularly rich in beta carotene which the body converts into vitamin A to support skin and vision.
Celery contributes fiber content along with antioxidants that promote digestion while reducing inflammation. Onions contain compounds known for their inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
The broth in chicken noodle soup can bring relief to a throat while the steam from a bowl helps clear nasal passages and ease congestion.
Ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup
To make our delicious chicken noodle soup, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces egg noodles
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Chicken Noodle Soup
- Start by preparing the chicken. Remove the giblets and any excess fat from the cavity.
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly with cold water and pat it dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the broth is boiling, carefully add the seasoned chicken to the pot. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let the chicken simmer for about 1 hour, or until it is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool.
- Once it is cool enough to handle, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding the skin and bones.
- While the chicken is cooling, bring the broth back to a boil.
- Add the egg noodles to the pot and cook them according to the package instructions, usually about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the noodles are cooked, remove the pot from the heat.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the chicken noodle soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations for Customizing Your Chicken Noodle Soup
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the broth before adding the noodles.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables to the soup, such as peas or corn. Just make sure to add them towards the end of the cooking time so they don't become too soft.
- For a touch of heat, you can add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to your soup.
- If you're short on time, you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken instead of cooking a whole chicken from scratch.