You can easily prepare this meal in half an hour and it is sure to become a beloved family favorite. The combination of tomatoes, lively spinach and flavorful sauce will leave you wanting more.
Whether you serve it as a course or a side dish you'll delight in seeing your loved ones eagerly go for seconds.
Ingredients for Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
To make this creamy and flavorful pasta dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 8 ounces of pasta (penne, fusilli, or any other short pasta)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Make sure to cook it al dente, as it will continue to cook when combined with the sauce later. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and chopped onion, and sauté until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the skillet, along with their juices. Stir well to combine with the garlic and onion.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and released their flavors.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the heavy cream.
- Stir gently to incorporate the cream into the tomato and spinach mixture.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese to the skillet and stir until it has melted and combined with the cream sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss it gently in the creamy tomato and spinach sauce until it is well coated.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the pasta to soak up the flavors of the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from heat and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve the Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta hot!
Tips for Perfecting Your Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Be sure to cook the pasta al dente, as it will continue to cook when combined with the sauce.
- Use fresh spinach for the best results. Frozen spinach can release excess water and make the sauce watery.
- Adjust the amount of heavy cream according to your preference.
- For added flavor, you can sauté some mushrooms along with the garlic and onion.
- Mushrooms pair well with the creamy tomato and spinach sauce.
- If you like a bit of heat, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce for a spicy kick.
Pairing Ideas for Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Serve the pasta with a side of garlic bread or toasted baguette slices for a complete meal.
- Add a fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing to balance the richness of the pasta.
- Pair the pasta with a glass of red wine, such as a Chianti or a medium-bodied Pinot Noir, to enhance the flavors.
- For a vegetarian feast, serve the pasta alongside roasted vegetables or a medley of grilled seasonal vegetables.
Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh basil?
Yes! You can substitute dried basil if fresh is not available. Use about 1 teaspoon of dried basil for every tablespoon of fresh basil.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can make this recipe vegan by using plant-based alternatives such as coconut cream or cashew cream instead of heavy cream.
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Absolutely! You can use any short pasta or even long pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine, for this recipe.