In this article, we will guide you through the process of creating mouthwatering chicken nuggets from scratch that are bound to impress your loved ones. Whether you're seeking a weekend activity or a speedy and hassle free dinner idea, these chicken nuggets will definitely do the trick.
The History of Chicken Nuggets
Chicken nuggets have a history that can be traced back to the 1950s. During that time a food scientist named Robert C. Baker played a role in transforming the poultry industry. He innovatively devised a technique to grind and shape chicken meat into portions. This groundbreaking method eventually paved the way for the development of chicken nuggets as we currently enjoy them.
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Nuggets
To prepare your chicken nuggets, you will require a basic and easily accessible ingredients. Here is the list of items you will need:
- Chicken breasts or chicken tenders, without bones and skin
- All purpose flour
- Breadcrumbs (it's preferable to use panko breadcrumbs for an added crispy texture)
- Seasonings of your preference (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder or onion powder)
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Chicken Nuggets
Now that you have your ingredients ready, let's dive into the step-by-step process of making homemade chicken nuggets:
- To start cut the chicken breasts or tenders into bite pieces. Make sure that the pieces are relatively similar, in size to ensure cooking.
- Prepare three bowls; one with flour, one with beaten eggs and one with breadcrumbs. You can add your seasonings to the breadcrumbs for flavor.
- Take each piece of chicken. Coat it first in flour shaking off any excess. Then dip it into the beaten egg allowing any extra to drip off. Finally coat the chicken in breadcrumbs by pressing them onto the surface.
- You have two choices for cooking the nuggets – frying or baking. If you choose frying heat vegetable oil in a skillet or pot until it reaches 350°F (175°C).
- Fry the chicken nuggets in batches for 3-4 minutes, per side until they turn golden brown and fully cooked.
- For a healthier option, you can bake the nuggets in an oven at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 15-20 minutes until they achieve a golden color and are thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken nuggets to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any oil.
- Serve them away while they're still piping deliciously crispy.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Texture and Flavor
- Consider marinating the chicken in your chosen marinade for a hours before coating and cooking.
- Repeat this dipping process to ensure a extra crunchy coating.
- After coating the chicken, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cooking. This will assist in coating and texture.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Making Chicken Nuggets
- When you fry or bake the nuggets, Avoid overcrowding the pan. This will ensure that they cook evenly and don't become soggy.
- Be sure to coat each chicken piece in every layer of the coating station. If you don't coat them adequately the nuggets might turn out less crispy.
- Keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. Always adjust the cooking time accordingly to make sure that the nuggets are fully cooked.