In this article, I'll take you through the process of preparing a curry chicken dish. From marinating the chicken to crafting the curry sauce, I will guide you at every stage.
Ingredients for Curry Chicken
To make this easy curry chicken, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 can (14 ounces) of coconut milk
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Curry Chicken
- Start by marinating the chicken. Take a bowl. Combine curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything thoroughly to ensure that the chicken is evenly coated with these spices.
- Cover the bowl. Let it sit in the refrigerator, for least 30 minutes or even better overnight.
- Next, heat some vegetable oil in a skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook it until it turns translucent and gets caramelized: this usually takes around 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and grated ginger to add an aromatic essence to the dish for another 2 minutes.
- Now push the onion mixture to one side of the skillet. Add the chicken to it.
- Cook each side of the chicken for 5 minutes until they turn brownish and are cooked through.
- Remember to stir so that the spices don't burn.
- Once your chicken is cooked introduce tomato paste into your skillet and stir well to incorporate its flavors into the mix.
- Let it cook for another minute or so to enhance its taste.
- Finally! It's time to bring everything together.
- Pour coconut milk along with some chicken broth into your skillet.
- Give everything a stir so that all these fantastic ingredients combine harmoniously.
- First bring the mixture to a simmer. Then lower the heat and cover the skillet.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes so that all the flavors can blend together harmoniously.
- After this time take off the lid. Give the curry chicken a stir. Take a taste. Adjust the seasoning, with salt and pepper if necessary.
- If you prefer a sauce continue to simmer the curry without covering it for a 5-10 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Once the curry chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the heat and garnish, with cilantro for an added touch of freshness.
- Serve it piping hot alongside steamed rice, naan bread or any other side dish of your preference.
Tips for Making the Perfect Curry Chicken
- To achieve the flavorful outcome opt for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- However if you prefer you can also use chicken breasts keeping in mind that they may turn out a bit drier.
- For those who enjoy a spicier curry chicken consider adding chopped chili peppers or a dash of cayenne pepper.
- It's important not to overlook the marinating step. Allowing the chicken to soak up the spices will ensure it becomes infused with flavor and results, in meat.
- If you have a preference for a curry feel free to substitute half of the coconut milk with either cream or yogurt.
- Make sure to choose a high quality blend for taste.
Serving Suggestions for Curry Chicken
Let me share some serving ideas that might inspire you:
- Fluffy Steamed Rice
- Warm Naan Bread
- Flaky Roti
- Protein Packed Quinoa (High Protein Meal)
- Low Carb Cauliflower Rice (Low Carb Meal)