In this article, I will provide you with a walkthrough on how to prepare an appetizing chicken salad that will leave your taste buds delighted. This salad is packed with a variety of ingredients and exciting flavors making it an absolute delight to assemble.
Ingredients for Mexican Chicken Salad
To make this mouthwatering Mexican chicken salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Lime wedges, for serving
Step by step instructions for making Mexican Chicken Salad
Preparing the Chicken for the Salad
To begin we need to prepare the chicken for the salad. Start by preheating your grill or grill pan. Take the chicken breasts. Gently rub them with olive oil and then season them with spices, cumin, salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the grill. Cook each side for 6-8 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the grill. Let it rest for a minutes before slicing it into thin strips.
Making the Dressing for the Salad
While the chicken takes a breather, grab a bowl. Combine the juice from 2 limes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of honey 1 minced garlic clove and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. This tangy lime dressing will harmonize all the flavors in the salad perfectly. It adds a touch of freshness.
Assembling the Mexican Chicken Salad
Grab a bowl. Put together the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cubes of avocado cubes of onion cilantro leaves, crumbled queso fresco and sliced black olives. Give all these ingredients a mix.
Afterwards add the chicken into the bowl. Drizzle some dressing on top. Use tongs or two large spoons to gently toss everything until each ingredient is coated with the dressing. Take care in not to overmix as we want to preserve the texture of each ingredient.. Now we're ready! Serve it up!
Additions to the Mexican Chicken Salad
Here are a few ideas to add variations,
- Add a kick of heat by sprinkling some diced jalapenos or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the salad.
- Enhance the smoky flavor by grilling the corn and adding it to the salad.
- Include some black beans or grilled peppers for added texture and taste.
- Top the salad with a dollop of sour cream or a spoonful of guacamole for extra creaminess.