In this article, we will guide you step by step on how to make Panda Express orange chicken in the comfort of your own kitchen.
With its crispy texture and irresistible tangy-sweet sauce, Panda Express orange chicken has become a favorite among Chinese food enthusiasts. Our recipe aims to replicate the signature flavors that the popular fast-food chain is known for.
Ingredients Needed to Make Panda Express Orange Chicken
To make Panda Express orange chicken at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Green onions, thinly sliced (for garnish)
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Make Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Start by cutting the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten. In a separate bowl, place the cornstarch.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the beaten eggs, ensuring that it's well coated.
- Then, dredge the chicken in the cornstarch, pressing gently to adhere the coating. Place the coated chicken on a plate or baking sheet.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to 375°F (190°C). Carefully drop the coated chicken pieces into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per batch. Remove the cooked chicken from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, grated ginger, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Allow the sauce to thicken slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the fried chicken to the saucepan and toss until each piece is coated in the orange sauce.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the Panda Express orange chicken over steamed rice or noodles. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions for added freshness and a pop of color.
Tips for Perfecting the Recipe
- Make sure to cut the chicken into uniform-sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Double dredging the chicken in the egg and cornstarch will result in an extra crispy coating.
- Use a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the oil temperature and maintain a consistent frying temperature.
- If you prefer a spicier version of orange chicken, add additional red pepper flakes or a drizzle of Sriracha sauce to the sauce.
- For a healthier alternative, you can bake the chicken instead of frying it.
- Simply place the coated chicken on a greased baking sheet and bake at 400°F (200°C) for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.